Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

Upcycled and ready to share!


Some Reflections on the Week

The week flew by, and now that it is the night before the symposium, we thought we would share some reflections and thoughts. Tomorrow we will share more and be selling the items we upcycled to raise money for FOOD for ALL in Ashland.

It’s amazing to go into Meservey and see all of the old stools and science artifacts that were left behind. Taking the stools back to Memorial Hall classroom and brainstorming what we were going to make out of them was difficult. There were many extraordinary ideas. The old lab stools were transformed into amazingly decadent stools. We also received many compliments on the stools, the signs, the baseball bat lights, and the chairs.

I learned a lot of things this week. I learned how to be a good team member and how to upcycle various items like refurbishing a chair. I love this group, and I love upcycling.

I learned skills about what I can do with the stuff that people think they can't use. I found out that I can remake old stuff to make it nice and new. I think if people have creative minds, they can earn money with other people’s trash. This project was a good experience for me. One of the best things was that I worked with my advisor, Mr. Buck.

This week has been a good experience for me. I've learned a lot, including what you have to do to be able to get spray paint to stay, as well as making a lamp out of a baseball bat. The experience I learned from the most was making the baseball bat lamp. Working with Bill and Kelly from maintenance for two days, I learned a lot about electricity. I learned what you need to do to make the lamp possible and how to put that all together. So, all in all, Project Week was pretty fun, and I had a good experience learning about upcycling.

This project has opened my eyes to the world of upcycling. Before the New Hampton Project Week, I only knew a little about what upcycling was and how people do it, but now I know that almost anything can be repurposed, and I now look at "garbage" in a new light. Throughout this project, I have become a "greener" person, and I now have many ideas to bring to these projects, and others into my life at home. This project has been a wonderful experience for me, and I hope that I can continue to use the skills I have learned this week in my life.

Come join us tomorrow so you can see what we did this week. We are all very proud of our accomplishments and we think you will be too!

Thanks, 
Team Upcycle


1 comment:

  1. It has been a pleasure working with all of you! You really nailed it and put a huge amount of effort and time into this week. I am proud of you and you deserve accolades for your accomplishments!

    Best,

    Mr. Buck

    ReplyDelete