Pages

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

From Concept to Reality

Making a Sci-Fi Action Movie by definition requires some trickery: we need to create a world that is fantastic but internally consistent. During Project Week we'll be shooting and editing a short film which will involve laser beams, futuristic technologies, and fantastic situations. At it's core though our film will try to tell a compelling story about believable people.

Of course we also want the film to look cool.

I've been working with my student leader Werner to design one of the props for our film and here is what we came up with so far.

This concept drawing shows what I was originally thinking for the wrist computer / blaster the bad guys in our film would be wearing.

I fabricated a rough first pass out of foam matting. Although I figured out how to heat-mold the material to shape the foam I wasn't happy with the slits I had to cut to accommodate the webbing and the finish paint job was terrible.
I took another pass at it changing the method of attaching the straps and adding finish details like cables, bolts and weathering. This is getting a lot closer to what I was hoping for.

Next up is the design of the heads-up display that the wrist computer will generate. Werner and I will be getting together soon to shoot a test reel to see how it looks and feels on film.

What do you think? Do you like our prop? Let us know in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment